Monday, May 2, 2011

Introduction - is eating healthy worth the cost?

Before my first child started eating solid foods, my thoughts on healthy food were basically this: it's better to eat cheap than healthy, because I can use the money I save to help others.

I saw nothing wrong with this idea. It was selfless, after all, and my motive was good. It had little to do with the taste of the food or the ease of preparation. It was just about saving the money for what I thought was something more important.

But then I started doing some research when Kaira started eating, and I haven't stopped yet. There's so much information out there! I was blown away by what I was learning. And eventually I started thinking ahead a little more and came to a new conclusion: if I take the best care I can of the body I have, I will have more energy with which to serve the Lord, and will be in better health, meaning (possibly) less money wasted later on in life on medical problems of all sorts.

I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of health problems in America stem from our horrible eating habits. Thus, it seemed logical to start a new category in the Learning Surrender blog - Health and Nutrition.

After all, healthy eating is, in a way, related to surrender, isn't it? We want to eat what tastes good - and often the foods that taste the best to us are also the most toxic to our bodies. It's a constant struggle against the desires of the flesh, and it is no easy thing. But it is, I think, a fight worth fighting. Not only will you feel more energetic and less "bleh" all the time, but you will also develop determination and discipline, both useful traits as you seek to walk by the Spirit of God.

So I guess that's it for the introduction. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment